COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test
in Selected Pharmacies
How much does a Covid Antigen Test Cost?
Individual Price: €40
What is a Covid Antigen Test?
It is a nasal test that checks for a current COVID-19 (coronavirus) infection. The pharmacist takes a swab from each nostril. If your test is negative, you will be emailed an EU Digital Covid Certificate, which you can upload to your phone (Covid Tracker App or similar).
Who is the test suitable for?
The test is suitable for children 14 years and older.
Who is it not suitable for?
It is not suitable for anyone:
- with symptoms of Covid-19
- who thinks they may have Covid-19
- who may be a close contact of someone with Covid-19
- who recently arrived in Ireland from somewhere where the advice is to self-
Travel & EU Digital Covid Certificate
If you require this test for international travel, please ensure that you are familiar with the current requirements of the country you are entering. While some countries accept the results of rapid antigen tests (RATs) if taken less than 48 before arrival, others do not. It is your responsibility to book the test you require for your circumstances. Please be aware that the age requirement for testing of children also varies from country to country.
- Although the test has high sensitivity and specificity, it’s not 100 percent accurate and may give false-positive or false negative results.
- If you test positive, this means that the COVID-19 virus was identified at the time of testing, and you will be recommended to get a PCR test by the HSE.
- If you test negative, the result of your test will be submitted to the OGCIO for the purposes of producing an EU certificate. A negative result means that the COVID-19 virus was not identified in at the time of testing. It does not mean that you haven’t had COVID-19 or that you won’t develop the infection in the future.
Is this test on the European Union (EU) common list of rapid antigen tests?
Yes, this test is on the EU common list of rapid antigen tests.
How do I get my results?
You will receive your results via email.
What do I do if I have not received my result?
Results typically take up to an hour before they become available. If it’s been over an hour since your swab appointment, and your results are not available on the portal, please call your pharmacy for further information.
Will I get a certificate confirming my result?
Yes, you will be emailed a certificate.
Whilst the test is characterised by high sensitivity and specificity, it’s not 100 percent accurate and may give false positive or false-negative results. It’s not as accurate as a PCR test and is designed to detect the virus at levels that are more likely to mean you’re infectious and could spread the infection to others.
What if I test positive?
If you test positive, this means that the COVID-19 virus was identified in your test sample at the time of testing. Where a positive test result is obtained, you may be referred for confirmatory PCR testing via the national testing system